Monday, March 14, 2016

Hummus

Every month, I get to attend a breast cancer support group meeting through a really neat organization called "Lifting Hearts," right here in Utah County. They even provide free retreats for cancer patients where they pamper current patients and survivors, offer education, encouragement, and an environment of sisterhood. It's pretty awesome. Anyway, at our meeting this last Thursday I brought hummus (one of my favorite healthy snacks,) and a bunch of the ladies wanted my recipe. So this post is all about sharing it!
I love cooking and baking and food. I love playing with recipes. So, unfortunately, sharing a recipe isn't always as easy as a list and directions! I made my hummus Thursday night to taste. I don't have a clue what my measurements of most of the ingredients were! But, here's a basic recipe, and then I'll explain some of the alterations I made.

Hummus

Ingredients:
2 cans of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
1/4 to 1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 to 2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
I know, I know, it's not very precise. In fact, I probably put closer to a tablespoon of lemon juice and garlic. Cause you know, I love them. Anyway -
Directions:
Almost drain one of the cans. I just use the lid to quickly get most of the water out of the beans/peas, leaving about a tablespoon of liquid in the bottom. I dump both cans (the other full of the liquid) in my Blendtec blender. A powerful motor is a must for hummus, so if you don't have a great blender, use a food processor. Then I add the lower limit of the rest of the ingredients, and keep adding more of whatever I think it needs after I blend it up. I blend mine a lot, because I like it smooth. This works really well with making it to taste, because while I wash the spoon, I'm blending it again.

Let's talk about the tahini for a minute. Tahini is listed as optional in most hummus recipes, but in my opinion, it is a must. You can find tahini (which is paste made out of sesame seeds) at the local grocery store. Seriously, Macey's is where I got mine here, but I found some at Kroger in Georgia. It can be difficult to locate, so I recommend asking a clerk to help you find it. It's also the most expensive part of the hummus.
As you make hummus, you can try adding in different flavors. Leave the cumin out. Leave the garlic out. Try roasted red pepper. Try paprika. Greek yogurt. Olives. Avocados. Cheese. The possibilities go on and on, though I recommend only trying one new ingredient at a time. I hope you enjoy making hummus, too!

No comments: